Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Click here to view our online video
- You may not have anything to eat or drink for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment. You may have a sip of water to take any required medications.
- You may drink something clear up to three hours before surgery. This includes water, apple juice that is clear and tea. No milk or cream!
- Please do not smoke at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery. Patients heal a lot better and with fewer complications if you can limit smoking for 5-7 days after surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience. This includes not driving to the office if you have taken any sedative medication at home such as valium/diazepam.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes. Sedation and high heals are not a good combination.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Please do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or body lotion on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- You will usually be asked to continue your routine medications with the exception of diabetic medications if your are not eating before sedation.
- Make sure you hydrate the day before surgery. Drink a lot of water or tea.
Find Us Online